NewsBin Professional Download
Released February 4, 2013
Ten day free trial. Entering a registration key turns this into the registered version.
NOTE: If you are upgrading from 6.34 or prior and use any Download Folder Modes, you will want to check your Download Path settings when you upgrade to this version. Newsbin makes an effort to convert old path settings upon upgrade.
- Bug fixes to 6.41
- Performance enhancements
- Changed behavior of "Download to Folder Named for Subject". It is configurable using a hidden setting in the configuration file.
- Fixed timeout issue
Version 6.00+ changes from 5.5x
- Total re-design of the User Interface.
- Menu Bar is dockable, can move it wherever you like
- All tabs are now movable and dockable, can make them standalone or group them with other tabs within Newsbin.
- Status Bar now has components you can interact with. Right-click lets you customize it
- GUI themes now available under View/Application Look
- Download tab now displays as a Compact View.
- AutoPAR tab is gone, function now is performed in the Download tab. Has color coded progress:
- Blue = Download
- Green = UnRAR
- Yellow = Repair
- Can create custom key mappings for many commands under View/Customize menu.
- Groups tab has a small toolbar containing allowing access to common functions like update and load.
- Download state of a post is now remembered whether downloading from headers, loading an NZB, or from Internet Search.
- Now has a tree view for headers. Each compacted line can be expanded to see the posts comprising each set.
- Vast improvement in handling headers. All of boneless can now be loaded if you really want to.
- New caching mechanism that helps achieve smoother processing and higher download speeds. Clocked at almost 1gbps to a local server.
- New image rendering library in use that renders more image types than before.
- Can perform a Local Search for subjects or on posters now by selecting "From" on Search tab. (Not hooked up for Internet Search... yet).
- Right-click in the download list on a file with PAR files and select Properties to get a QuickPAR like window.
- Post list now has a Load Older and Load Newer function to easily browse a group or Group of Groups without loading all headers.
- If a password protected RAR set is encountered, Newsbin can either fail the file or prompt for a password.
- "Next" button for Internet Search to retrieve next set of matches beyond the initial 2000 match limit.
- Hooked up retries for failed header downloads.
- Hooked up speed and time remaining display when you dwell over the taskbar icon.
- Load drop down in the post list tab goes back 4 years now.
- Now only displays the MOTD if there is something new. Unregistered shows the MOTD all the time.
- Hooked up the Ctrl-G shortcut to perform a header update.
- New TCP commands for the Remote Control interface: Interface Spec | Remote Control Forum
- New Option called Spam Filter Settings. Tells Newsbin to look for certain common types of spam. For example, can intercept encrypted RAR sets and RAR files containing trojans or viruses.
- New Scheduler for pausing or speed limiting Newsbin by hour, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Can also be disabled and enabled from the Status Bar.
- Hooked up ways to assign a password for use with encrypted RAR files.
- New Proxy support for Socks4/Sock5 and HTTPS
- New option for topping of headers. Right-click a group, select Post Storage, then Use Download Age.
- Reduced RAM usage by 50% when downloading files
- Reduced RAM used by the download list
- Increased reliability of downloading and processing RAR sets.
- Hooked up odometer (from V5) in the Status Bar.
- New options to reset the GUI on next restart or to load a backup configuration on restart.
- New support for Asian language for headers posted as UTF-8
- Improvements to the bandwidth limiter
- Fixed Ctrl-F4 to close tabs.
- New Video Sampling feature allows you to view the beginning of a video before the entire rar set completes downloading. Available from the Download tab or the Files tab, both in the toolbar and in the right-click menu Also mentioned on the Newsgroup Reviews Blog.
- New feature added to tell Newsbin to either shutdown your PC, make it go to sleep, or hibernate when the download list empties.
- Growl support for notifying on certain events.
- Made retries configurable. Should help for iffy connections. Default is 2. Can modify under Options/Setup.
- New column in Groups tab called "New Records" lists number of new posts since the last load.
- Better progress reporting in Download tab
- Fixed memory problems on 32 bit systems
- Ctrl-Y to force a download now bypasses spam filters too (Add to Download List - Bypass Filters)
- New authentication scheme for Remote Control Interface so you don't have to enter your Newsbin key anymore (which is a pain on an iPhone).
- Expanded Unicode (UTF-8) support for folder names and throughout program.
Version 6 has a new storage format for headers. You have to manually invoke the conversion if you want to bring your 5.5x headers into V6. A new spool folder, SPOOL_V6 will be created for storing headers in the Newsbin Data Folder. To invoke the conversion, select a group or a bunch of groups in the Groups tab, right-click and select Post Storage, then choose "Import Version 5.XX Headers". A progress screen will pop up and you'll have to wait for it to finish before continuing. Once you are happy with the conversion, you can remove your old SPOOL_V1 folder to save space. If you don't know where your data folder is, go under Options/Setup and click the "Open Data Folder" button.
Version 6 will NOT run on Windows 98 or Windows 2000.
Newsbin is available in many languages!
These translations are available due to the hard work of many volunteers. Not all translations are complete. Check our Translation Wiki to see the status of your language. If your language is not 100%, consider volunteering to help translate it.
- New to Usenet
- Using Newsbin for the First Time
- Installation Guide
- Full Version 6 Documentation is available.
- Visit our forums for extra help and information using Version 6.
- Technical Support is available via our technical support request form.
- Installers are Internet based. A version of the installer containing the executable files is available here.
Disclaimer: These prior versions are provided on request from users who prefer a specific version over the official production release. We do not officially support these older versions and will not fix any bugs found in these versions as development is only performed on the latest version available. We may provide limited technical support for these older versions depending on the nature of the issue. The Internet Search Function only works in Version 5.42 or higher. It works best in version 5.56 or higher. Not all versions are listed.
Version 6.41 32 and 64 bit (Released December 23, 2012)
Version 6.40 32 and 64 bit (Released October 1, 2012)
Version 6.34 32 and 64 bit (Released June 18, 2012)
Version 6.33 32 and 64 bit (Released May 31, 2012)
Version 6.32 32 and 64 bit (Released May 7, 2012)
Version 6.31 32 and 64 bit (Released April 15, 2012)
Version 6.30 32 and 64 bit (Released February 28, 2012)
Version 6.21 32 and 64 bit (Released December 14, 2011)
Version 6.20 32 and 64 bit (Released December 1, 2011)
Version 6.11 32 and 64 bit (Released October 7, 2011)
Version 6.10 32 and 64 bit (Released September 26, 2011)
Version 6.00 32 and 64 bit (Released July 4, 2011)
Version 5.59 32 and 64 bit (Released December 1, 2010)
Version 5.58 32 and 64 bit (Released September 29, 2010)
Version 5.57 32 and 64 bit (Released July 28, 2010)
Version 5.56 32 and 64 bit (Released July 10, 2010)
Version 5.55 32 and 64 bit (Released March 11, 2010)
Version 5.54 32 bit (Released October 10, 2009)
Version 5.54 64 bit (Released May 19, 2009)
Version 5.42 32 bit (5.42 is oldest version that supported Internet Search Function)
Version 5.42 64 bit (Released May 27, 2008)
Version 5.35 32 bit (Released June 12, 2007)
Version 5.35 64 bit
Version 5.20 32 bit (Last version to support upgrade of duplicate detection database from V4.32)
Version 4.32 (32 bit only, no Internet Search Function. Released July 19, 2005)