Newsbin Professional Beta
Newsbin 6.50 Beta 8, May 14, 2013
- New Watch feature. Configure Newsbin to pull out items of interest during header downloads.
- Ability to open multiple Search tabs. Hit the Search icon in the toolbar to open a new tab.
- Ability to launch post unrar processing scripts.
- Provides the ability to download parts of a post to one drive and have them assembled to another. Useful if you want to minimize I/O bottlenecks by downloading to a fast internal drive then save the assembled files on larger external media like a NAS.
- Optimizations for downloading to SSD drives
- Uses new hashing code. Seems to solve the rare problem where Newsbin and quickpar don't agree on the hash value
- If you have two unique Regular Expressions with a space between them, it'll AND the results.
- Intermediate NB2 files are no longer used.
- New logic to verify all downloaded files even without pars so it won't download dup files ever.
- Startup checking is much faster, like if you exit with large sets in the download list.
- Compacts more posting styles
- The "Small File Filter" is now disabled by default (Show PAR/NFO)
- Unnecessary files in the data folder gets purged on startup now.
- Now supports SMTP authentication for email notifications.
- New toolbar icons, should be prettier.
- When downloading, all the chunks go to a common folder in the data folder.
- When downloading headers, all the updates are sent to a common folder and not "per group".
- Only 2 downloading modes, fully buffered in memory or chunks in the common folder.
- The chunks folder is only used if the memory cache has to be flushed.
- Current in memory chunks get flushed out.
Version 6.50 Beta 8 Build 2721, May 14, 2013
- Fixed issue when downloading from NZB files where the download path wasn't always honored
- Updated toolbar icons, let us know what you think.
- Signed installer and exe with new code signing certificate, good to 2015 now.
Version 6.50 Beta 7 Build 2712, May 8, 2013
- Fixed issue with installer where UAC dialog was showing up in the background.
- Fixed issue with Exit Modes not saving Windows Shutdown selection (sleep, hibernate, shutdown).
- Changed rightmost element in the status bar to show time remaining for selected files.
- Search: Clicking the search button now opens a new (additional) search tab. First option under the View menu does it too.
- Download: Retries didn't work properly after a restart (for headers).
- Download: Header downloads weren't updating files already in the download list. Retries do this now.
- AutoPAR: Rename of mis-named files are now deferred untill autopar engages so that restarting a download doesn't re-download a file.
- AutoPAR: QPMS files are all assembled prior to par repair because of a limitation in the repair lib.
- AutoPAR: High performance file scan will revert to slower, more reliable mode on unrar failure.
- Autopar: Fixed issue where the temp folder wasn't getting removed when the rar password is wrong.
- Autopar: Before repair, now copies all the source files together. Copying files during download has been disabled.
- AutoPAR: Fixed issue with unraring when there's not enough space was causing a crash.
- Display: Fixed issue with dates showing up as UTC instead of local time
- Display: Group Settings gets new folder picker for downloads path
- Display: Fixed issue when adding new groups, the group count wasn't going up in the groups list.
- Display: Add an item to the Options menu to enable/disable Windows shutdown.
- Display: Added an item to the View menu to toggle grid lines.
- Display: Provided icons for the last two options in the Options menu.
Version 6.50 Beta 6 Build 2689, May 1, 2013
- Fixed issue where passwords containing tabs wouldn't work for passworded rar files.
- Fixed crash issue on XP systems. Hopefully will fix related problems running under wine.
- Fixed download stall issue. Found a threading problem in the chunk cache that may have caused it
- Optimized how AutoPAR works for handling failed repairs.
- Fixed an issue with the remote interface.
- Fixed issue where use of SSLV2 was being applied globally instead of just for specific connections.
Version 6.50 Beta 5 Build 2602, April 24, 2013
- Fixed "Use Recycle Bin" setting so it is saved between runs
- Fixed "Copy Settings from Existing Server" when adding a new server in the Server Options. It was broken.
- Fixed the total download counter that appears in the Status Bar at the bottom left.
- Fixed the Date/Age toggle (ctrl-t), the state wasn't being remembered between runs.
- Fixed issue with the duplicate detection database conversion on startup.
- Fixed login type authentication for notifications.
- Fixed issue where a download would stall on incomplete files instead of assembling them and pressing on.
- Search: Added the $(SEARCH) path variable so you can use your search string as part of the download path
Version 6.50 Beta 4 Build 2594, April 15, 2013
- Display: Fixed bug using custom menus introduced with the dynamic menu changes based on the tab having focus
- Display: Fixed issue where the Search in Groups setting seemed to get stuck
- Display: Fixed issue where toolbar was not selecting the proper default toolbar.
- Display: The option to toggle use of the Recycle Bin was hidden on the AutoPAR settings screen
- Display: Address issue loading all posts into a post list introduced in Beta 3.
- Display: The Show Posts function from a Watch List now uses the same shortcut as for a regular post list.
- Display: Addressed a report that header loading doesn't work sometimes.
- Autopar: When an unrar fails, AutoPAR now sends the set to repair no matter what the current block counts say
- Download: Fixed issue where retry on a partial file (with black blocks) would re-download chunks which was keeping the retry time from expiring.
- Download: Fixed issue where retries were being capped at one. Caused pre-mature feeding of files to the failed list.
- Notification: Now supports "AUTH LOGIN".
- Notification: Fixed issue where setting changes for Growl notifications were not getting saved.
Version 6.50 Beta 3 Build 2579, April 13, 2013
- Fixed issue where deleted files were not going to the Recycle bin.
- Fixed the Signature Cache (Duplicate detection).
- Fixed issue with Growl and Email notifications.
- Autopar: new .001 rar formatted files weren't getting renamed because they look like QPMS.
- Autopar: Fixed issue where if a QPMS file makes it into the failed list and you re-add it back to the download list, it wasn't getting assembled or repaired.
- Autopar: Fixed issue where if a QPMS file makes it into the wish list, re-adding it back to the download list wouldn't download.
- Display: Make sure a default download path is set on clean install
- Display: When an updated gz is imported that includes part of a file that's already shown in the post list, it was showing a new record and not the combined record.
- Display: Add lock display to one of the menus.
- Display: We think we fixed a long-term issue where toggling hide old on and off might reveal more posts.
- Display: Fixed duplicate subject issue for some image files.
- Display: Make sure header downloads when delta are loaded in the post list never load posts older than current display age.
- Display: Fixed the option to open the Server Options dialog from Servers tab.
- Display: Fixed use of utf8 characters for naming folders
- Display: The Column sort is now case insensitive.
- Display: Switched back to "stable_sort", maintains order of other colums as much as possible.
- Display: Menus options in the menu bar now change based on the current tab.
- Display: ImageDB - Changed the progress bar for delete.
- Display: When restoring the NBI file. Now uses the default NBI file location as the base path.
- Display: When the low free space dialog pops up, now keeps downloads paused after it is clicked away.
- Display: Removed the OK button from the low disk space pop-up, it wasn't working anyways.
- Watch: Watch list doesn't permit a blank "Search In" field when looking for posters.
- Watch: Fix to improve REs (force parens on each element)
- Watch: Fixed ability to use OR in a Watch RE (the pipe "|" character).
- Watch: Added the ability to test strings against the watch profile.
- Watch: Added support for validating a search string on the watch options window.
Version 6.50 Beta 2 Build 2554, April 3, 2013
- Autopar: Expanded support for obfuscated rar file formats that rename but, look like QPMS.
- Spam: Fixed issue where some spam filters couldn't be disabled under Options/Spam Filter Settings
- Display: Fixed issue where adding "Reject" filters in a filer profile was actually adding them as an "Accept" filter.
- Display: Fixed option to clear search and filter history.
- Display: Added code to prevent drag and drop of watch topics and custom lists
- Display: Fixed issue where "Unsorted" group folder wasn't updated when all headers are updated.
- Display: Fixed issue where date/age toggle (Ctrl-T) wasn't applying to all lists.
- Display: You can turn grid lines on in the .nbi file by setting Gridlines=1 under the [COLORS] section.
- Download: Performance improvement: Download list should feed faster.
- Download: Disabled debug mode of saving the raw headers (GZ files).
Version 6.50 Beta 1 Build 2550, March 29, 2013
- Fixed sorting on Status column. It actually works now.
- Fixed crash issue that would occur if you try to load an NZB file before Newsbin completes initialization.
- Hooked up SMTP authentication for email notifications
- Added commas to the header download count.
- The default NZB Download path now includes NZB Filename
- Autopar: Now scans for blocks instead of depending on the MD5 hash.
- Autopar: Changed repair lib to be more precise to reduce false positive repairs.
- Display: Changed files list delete to just delete, not purge and delete. Faster now.
- Display: Reporting "Close Socket Error" because the socket was never used.
- Display: Split out advanced options on the Server Options screen, was getting too busy.
- Download: Added an Server Option to use the NNTP Body command instead of Article. The only way "premiumize.me" news server can work.
- Download: Added a hidden way to defer authentication till the server asks for it. Probably never be used. [SERVER NAME] DeferAuth=0/1;
- Download: Aggressive mode is now real aggressive and if selected will kick in within 5 seconds of the last chunk download.
- Scripting: Added ability to specify a custom post processing script saved in the Scripts folder under the Data Folder
- Scripting Notes: Creates an input.txt file with the filenames of all the files in the unrar before calling the script and an output.txt file containing a list of files found within the RAR beore calling the script. Details discussed in this forum post.
- Need to add support for .REV files
- Drag and Drop to order the Groups list in the Groups tab is not hooked up, nor can you column sort the groups.
- There have been reports that Newsbin isn't saving the correct renamed files to descript.ion file.
Newsbin renames the file on disk and then lands the file. Without re-writing the descript.ion, there's no way to fix this.
- Works on Windows XP and newer.
- Crosspost filters in the Add Groups dialog are not hooked up.
Our Beta Support Forum has current discussions about this beta release.If you have an issue not addressed in the forums, please contact Newsbin Technical Support